Here is the current stubbing of my thesis. Still needs work, but I wanted to get what I have to you now for feedback.
As I see it, my research has 2 overarching contributions, which could function as separate chapters:
- The creation and detailing of a new way to conduct citizen science data collection, Citizen Science Geocaching.
- The exploration of three major benefits that Citizen Science Geocaching provides scientists
- Previously unsupported science tasks
- Coordinating citizen scientists through a deeper understanding of project needs and participant skills
- Verification and validation of collected information
Embedding Citizen
Science in Geocaching with Mobile Devices
1.
Introduction
1.1.
Background & Problems
1.2.
Solutions (“How can we solve
this”)
1.3.
Research Goals
1.4.
Contributions
1.5.
Thesis Outline
2.
Related Work
3.
Citizen Science Geocaching
3.1.
Introduction
3.2.
Parts
3.2.1.
Mobile device
3.3.
Benefits
3.3.1.
Tasks
3.3.2.
Coordination
3.3.3.
Verification
3.3.4.
Enjoyment/Motivation
3.3.5.
Familiarity/Compatability with
citizen science
3.3.6.
…
4.
“Pursued Benefits”
4.1.
Tasks
4.2.
Coordination
4.3.
Verification
5.
Realization
5.1.
Early caches & prototypes
5.2.
Implementation
5.3.
Study
- Qualitative study with scientists showing my implementation of the three
- Quantitative study of ability to validation/verify data with the implementation, also verifying the functionality of the general "Citizen Science Geocaching" idea. Could also test citizen scientists training tasks and other complex tasks.
- Qualitative study with scientists showing my implementation of the three
- Quantitative study of ability to validation/verify data with the implementation, also verifying the functionality of the general "Citizen Science Geocaching" idea. Could also test citizen scientists training tasks and other complex tasks.
6.
Discussion/Conclusion
7.
Future Work
The big thing I'm unsure of is whether Chapter 3 is in the right place / holds up as a strong enough contribution without all the details of the major benefits I explored. If it doesn't seem right, I need to find a different way to separate up my contributions.
Will keep working on this tomorrow, especially flushing out 4 and 5 to discuss on Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment