Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Progress

Yesterday and Today:
  • Worked on Ch 2. Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the collection and validation sections, which will take more time than any of the other parts remaining.
  • Working on expanding ideas for training, collection and validation. 
  • An idea that I have returned to involved recordings with paths and areas using a mobile device. 
    • Originally Tony and I had discussed recordings patches of invasive species. 
    • What I've realized now is how the mobile can be used to guide citizen scientists through different sampling methods. 
      • One type that stands out are transects. With the most basic ones, you count the number of times whatever you are sampling for (plant or animal) is in this line you have pre-defined. Do this enough times, and you can get a baseline for the frequency of a species in an area. There are many variations to these that are more complicated. I need to understand the full range of how these are used, but I think there is some interesting potential for collection here!
      • Another one that stands out are quadrants, which like transects are used to estimate the frequency of a phenomena over an area. A mobile could help assist this sort of collection as well.
      • I have more ideas floating with this, I'm going to continue on this path (if it seems reasonable tomorrow). If it sounds good, I can write something more formal with all my ideas.
Tomorrow:
  • Half the day on Ch 2. Once I get over the collection and validation sections (which almost all the content is there, just the most rough), I'll be very confident about my finishing the chapter.
  • Other half the day expanding upon the better ideas I've formed. Realized while writing this that they are still hard to explain succinctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment