Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April 3rd (with a question)

Didn't get enough done today. Took almost 3 hours to get my CHI registration done because of stupidity with flights and credit cards. 

Taking Saul's advice, looking at the core of geocaching. My mindset like a surgeon, seeing how I can dissect it into pieces and understand how those pieces work. From this, I want to understand how those pieces can work inside citizen science. My concern is that what makes geocaching so interesting is how those pieces work together to form a sustaining community, and without certain core elements will it continue to function. Any advice on how I should contend with this?

 Reread over the O'Hara geocaching paper, and drew 4 major factors to why people geocache:
  • Exploring a secret world that is all around you (a geocache can be hidden anywhere)
  • Experiencing new places that one would not goto otherwise.
  • Adds purpose to outdoor activity
  • The social/competitive interactions geocaching provides
I want to take these ideas that O'Hara drew out and see how citizen science could support each one. It is also important for me to go back to the physical geocache and how that can be leveraged for data collection. Will be continuing with this tomorrow. 

Yesterday I finished Tony's edits that didn't require rewriting.  Started writing on training today.

Tomorrow will be a shorter work day for me because it is my birthday! Still will put in more than half of a normal days work though.

No comments:

Post a Comment