Saturday, February 11, 2012

Geocache deployment & more

Today I:
  • Deployed a science-y geocache nearby my house. I went with the most conservative possible route in relations to the Geocaching Terms of Service. On the logbook for the geocache I asked geocachers to answer a few questions about the trees in the park. I can change the cache description and set-up to a web-based collection in the future.
    • One thing worth noting is that areas in cities that might be better spots for data collection (e.g. parks) are also public spots. Geocachers don't like being caught, because it can get a cache ruined. Will think more about how to manage this.
  • Went and found a geocache near my place. I keep doing these once in a while to ground myself with my research.
  • Finished going through Richard related work and read a few readings. Did not find much use in them.
  • Looked at the source code for c-geo, an open-source android geocaching application. One possible way of conducting my research would be to build my techniques into the application for finding geocaches, making it possible to do my tasks with any geocache.
  • Brainstormed why my ideas should be allowed into the main geocaching website. Will think on them a bit more for presenting to geocaching.com .
Tomorrow:
  • Will go back to the game ideas by von Ahn and see how my data types apply to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment