- Don't over-prepare: I prepared a two minute pitch and then only had one minute, and freaked. If you actually are pitching in an elevator, this is the norm. Be flexible. This goes with the next point....
- Give an overview up-front: If you generally explain your work in the first sentence or so, there are two benefits.
- First, you give an idea structure for the person you are talking to work with.
- Second, if you get cut off early, they already have an idea of what you are doing.
- Pick points that people will remember: Your research is dense with interesting ideas, and in an elevator pitch you have to choose the important pieces. Simplifying your work is fine. You want the person you talk with to remember you, the area you work in, and what your approach is to the area.
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Elevator Pitch
Just got done with the elevator pitch speed-dating Tony set up. I did a poor job of expressing my work in one minute, but I also learned a lot to improve. Wanted to post what I learned to remember it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment